Wednesday, January 6, 2010

OMORE initial advertising campaign : The eLement of Suspense

Yesterday, in section B, when we were discussing high-budget advertisement for new products the example that popped up was OMORE. Just about its launch, Omore was literally everywhere. Olper made it dead sure that you could not come back home without having a look at the word OMORE, so it was inevitable for you to desperately wait for the launch of OMORE only to get your hands on the product that was so massively promoted. I used to pass along the canal every morning and was of course attracted to all their splendid work along the canal.

But, as it was mentioned in the class, while one could easily notice all that hype was being generated for OMORE, but initially it was hard to read the word ice-cream for a distance, and was it a good thing or bad? This vagueness related to OMORE, what it was and all.

Well, being no expert, I can't really explain the general rule whether it is a good thing or bad, and I am not even sure it was a part of their advertising campaign, but according to me it really worked well for OMORE, I don't know about the opinion of others but I will imply my example over here.

I really wanted to try OMORE !! But not because it was an ice-cream, but because it was OMORE, the OMORE that was being forced into my eyes again and again, the OMORE that forced the words, "WOW, what an effort, the Canal looks cool", just OMORE, OMORE, OMORE. And finally, when I came to know it was an ice-cream, even though I am not a big ice-cream fanatic, I said I want it now, because obviously I was forced to think that way by their advertisement.

Now, one may question, that if I knew it was an ice-cream even then I would be impressed by their campaign. I would say no. If I had known in the start , I would have been inspired but not desperate to taste it, the element of surprise increased my interest massively, but I think it worked for an ice-cream, but it wont have worked for some shopping mall, or car or something like this

And I can understand if someone disagrees, as this topic is highly subjective

3 comments:

Syed Ahmad Hashmi said...

Initial Advertising compaigns often require huge amount of capital which basically is product development capital. Nestle mineral water took about 6 million initially for this when it was launched in Pakistan and Nestle Company as a result was successful in its campaign because today Nestle drinking water comes to our mind automatically at once if we need to buy water even though there are many other Brands nowadays.
Good Job Rabbia.

Cindy said...

thanks for your opinion/article Rabbia.
I think I had the same feeling about OMORE. 'Why are they having so much advertisement? What? Omore is icecream? Interesting' and then I bought one.
Sadly I never had it again :P

Rabbia Nasir Amin said...

yeahh, their advertising was like they were going to be the market leaders, but thanks to their unnaturally lame flavors that it never happened