Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Is Adverstisement illegal under certain parameters?

I was prompted to contemplate over this when we discussed an ad of a perfume shop ( someone blogged about this). Apparently, the shop advertised its perfumes which were imitated on successful reputed fragrances. It claimed their product was better than the original. I don't know about the credibility of that but I really think they never did anything wrong. Advertisement is promotion of your business, products, services and etc. Being creative is an advertisers right which is often challenged by the society or moral police a.k.a advertising regulatory body. I am quite certain their standards for banning an ad isn't so straight forward and articulate and could be motivated by personal benefit. Moving to the point, I am of view advertising can't be termed illegal. If an ad holds people's attention it has done its job. That being the case, liked, disliked, offended and etc become trivial. Isn't this why the need for advertisement arises; awareness to people. There are lots of crazy forms of advertisements out there. I have picked up human body advertisement. People have conflicting views about it but regardless this controversy is famous/infamous. I would like to provide an analogy for over-the-edge ads. Compare it to an organ donor scenario. Many governments term it illegal but nevertheless, it gives life to someone in need. I believe a person's creativity should not be criticized or hindered in any way. There's a fine line between genius and banned commercials! I am sure a lot of us admire the freshness in banned commercials but we are also aware it offends others. In the end it boils down to how you see the glass; half-empty or half-full.

0 comments: